Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Our Principal Is Awesome

Yesterday I posted about some comments my on has gotten at school about not believing in a god, or, more specifically, for not believing in the Christian God.

I also emailed his teacher. I cc'd the principal and the guidance counselor. My greatest concern was that the child told him, "...and I've told everyone else in our class you don't believe in God!"

This child had no malicious intent, but now that the knowledge has spread wide and fast, I fear that another might. Accordingly, I did not name names in the email, but explained that I just wanted the relevant school personnel to be aware of the situation, so that if it came up, they were forearmed.

I expected that this morning I would have a response to the effect of  "Thank you for letting us know. Of course we always strive to protect all of our students."

Instead, only a few hours later, at 8pm, I received a phone call. It was our awesome principal, calling to discuss the matter. She said that maybe this is a sign that the school is due for a refresher in tolerance. The counselor regularly goes around to give instruction in each classroom anyway, and the principal has talked to her about making an upcoming session be about tolerance. She won't do it in a way to out my son- she'll make it 'treating everyone equally regardless of their skin color, or income level, or beliefs, or any other difference', and throw in a bit about the importance of thinking before speaking, since a comment like the one made to my son certainly could have hurt feelings, even though it wasn't intended to do so.

I won't go into, here and now, my pet peeve about the word 'tolerance'. I know what she means by it, and that's what counts here. Yes, our principal is awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. I just saw your post on Parents Beyond Belief, and really liked it. I'm writing a blog about what to do when your kid gets told he's going to hell, and plan to link to your story. If you're interested, please top by! www.wendythomasrussell.com. Story will post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete